I just returned from a busy weekend in Southern Italy, and amongst all of the beautiful sights I saw, the Island of Capri was my absolute favorite. I hiked Mt. Vesuvius and picnicked on the top, explored the buried city of Pompeii, partied in Sorrento and toured an organic mozzarella farm in Paestum, but above all, my favorite day was the one we spent in Capri. Here are the top 5 reasons (but not in any particular order):
1. The Lemons — The south of Italy is famous for growing the largest and most delicious lemons in the world. My two favorite lemony tastes were the delicious after-dinner drink called Limoncello, and a “limone” gelato. I could definitely taste the difference in freshness and flavor!
2. Swimming in the Blue Grottos — The Island of Capri sits on some of the most clear and blue water I have ever seen. Not only was it super clean, but the color was astonishing. Certain areas were navy, others were cobalt, and others were even a bright turquoise color. I couldn’t believe water that color existed without photoshop! Diving into the cool ocean off the boat that toured us around the island was an experience I will never forget.
3. Shopping – The bottom layer of Capri is a total beach town. There are fun tourist shops filled with apparel, jewelry, sea glass, pizza and fish shops and a little outdoor market. The upper layer of the island is home to exquisite restaurants and the high-end boutiques we know and love from the runway. The combination makes it a place for everyone, whether you’re investing in a handbag or a nautical themed hoodie.
4. The Food — I’m not a seafood eater, but being right on the ocean certainly had my friends raving about Capri’s fish dishes. Two of my friends enjoyed a fresh sea bass dinner and got a round of goosebumps after their first taste — I’m not kidding. I particularly enjoyed spinach and ricotta ravioli and a salad tossed in a lemon-pepper dressing. Again, the freshness was incomparable. And don’t even get me started on dessert — the picture says it all.
5. Profile Picture Potential — Capri is without a doubt the most beautiful place I’ve ever seen. It’s serene. Like, it doesn’t even look real. The views are endless and every photo you take looks like a post card! My suggestion is to grab your friends and do a photo shoot because you’ll never see scenery like this again.
Photos: Lauren Markarian/BeautyXpose