Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
As we get ready to ring in the New Year, I wanted to share with you some resolutions that are actually worth keeping. Skin care resolutions, that is! And who better to help guide you than the fabulous Skin Authority CEO, Celeste Hilling. If you’ve been reading for a while, you know I adore their 3-in-1 Cleansing System, Resurfacing Accelerator and Tri-Power Peptide Hydrator.
So without further ado, I’ll hand these things off to Celeste!
Happy (almost) 2015! After a holiday season filled with sugar, parties and late nights, January brings a chance to slow down, cleanse and focus on your health. As a skin coach, I hope you plan to give lots of love this year to the largest organ in your body – your skin. A healthy skin care routine is very little work for a large, lasting result!
Here are seven tips to set you on the right foot for skin care success:
- Be Hands Off – Keep your fingers off your pimples. By pushing and prodding, you are actually pushing bacteria deeper, causing more inflammation and potentially scarring the skin. Instead, use masks with sulfur and clay can draw out impurities.
- Wash your Face – Cleansing your skin is one of the most important things you can do when you wake up and before you go to bed. Bacteria and dead skin build-up can cause surface irritation and breakouts. Remove make-up and deep cleanse in one step by using cleansers that incorporate AHAs, which kill bacteria and loosen dead skin cells.
- Catch some Zzzz’s – One of the biggest impairments to skin care is stress, so ease into a good night’s sleep by turning off the television, taking a warm bath, dimming the lights and practicing breathing exercises. Essential oils, such as lavender, also promote relaxation.
- Warm up to oils – Speaking of oils, with their high concentrations of vitamins, antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids, they are proven to soothe, restore, and instantly transform. Essential oils also provide a wide range of cosmetic and therapeutic benefits. Two of my favorite oils for great skin and a positive attitude are bergamot and cardamom.
- Stop hoarding products – Use the New Year to inventory your skin care stash. In the morning, I suggest a mild gel cleanser, an anti-oxidant such as Vitamin C, and a sunscreen moisturizer. Before going to bed, use resurfacing ingredients such as AHAs and retinols in addition to restorative peptides.
- Practice Safe Sun – Use sunscreen every day, rain or shine. To determine the quality, look on the label for the term “broad spectrum” at an SPF-15 or 30. Tip: Above 30 adds very little extra protection and increases the amount of chemicals on your skin.
- Engage a skin coach – The skin care needs of each of us are so unique that they require specific, personalized guidance. A coach is an educator, motivator, and cheerleader. The esthetics experts at Skin Authority offer free coaching through SkinCoachonDemand.com, which will be available as an app this year.
About the author: With two decades in the beauty and skin care industries, Celeste Hilling is the Founder, CEO and Product Formulator for Skin Authority. Skin Authority is respected for developing pure and powerful products without the use of parabens, added fragrance, dyes or animal testing. More on www.skinauthority.com, Facebook at Skin Authority, Twitter @SkinAuthority and @MissSkin.